The American Hungarian Foundation was founded in 1955 in New Brunswick, New Jersey; in 1989 they opened the Hungarian Heritage Center, designed by Laszlo Papp, board member of the Foundation at the time. The Foundation’s origin was in promoting Hungarian Studies at Elmhurst College, and has morphed into the institution it is today with the slogan “Collect, Conserve, Celebrate”.
The Hungarian Heritage Center contains a museum, archive facility, and a significant library. Equipped with over 60,000 books, monographs, and historical records the New Brunswick Hungarian library works as an affiliate of the Rutgers University library. The texts housed here concentrate on the history of Hungarian-American relations, along with the contributions of Hungarian-Americans and their descendants, spanning back to the colonial times.
Rare books from the fifteenth century are among the collection as well as museum-quality maps, and various periodicals, videos, recordings, cassettes, CDs, DVDs, and archival materials. While all published materials are catalogued online, the library is in the process of digitizing their archive and library.
If you want more stories, subscribe to our YouTube channel or read our articles about Hungarian memorial sites around the world.